Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing from SmartDB to HC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> HappyCollection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KawaiiStar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Changing from SmartDB to HC Reply with quote

Thank you again for your programs and efforts. I have used SmartDB for many years. I just discovered Happy Collection and now can't decide which one to use as there are things I like about both.

Reasons why I would prefer Happy Collection:
- Bigger Focus on the image, more pleasing layout and look
- Simple customization of colors and fields
- MUCH bigger area for memo or written text
- It feels more user friendly

I don't know if it would be easier implementing those first 3 things (all important to me) into SmartDB or below are features I miss from SmartDB or problems I have with using Happy Collection.

My Wishlist for Happy Collection:

- That the search field could apply to the records shown where I can browse just those in visualization, similar to SmartDB (though I hate the red backdrop when doing this in SmartDB).

- A "joker" like % is for all characters or _ is for one character, or a setting next to the search field, that would set it to EXCLUDE instead of include entries according to that criteria. I believe I suggested this in an old SmartDB thread as well. The only advanced method to do this there was still too complicated for every day use.

- Easier modification which I miss from SmartDB. At the very least, it would be nice if the picture was still shown in modifcation and if "validate motif" didn't revert you back to visualization every time (a simple save instead?). Sometimes there are many fields I want to modify or just want to correct or add something on a whim so this modifcation method can be a nuisance.

- I change between my main computer and a laptop almost daily and like to keep databases on both updated. There seem to be a lot more files needed to transfer and I still can't find what file has the field information so if I update the fields on one computer they do not update on the other.

- For some reason, every time I exit Happy Collection, it says that the backup database is smaller than before and if I want to overwrite previous back up when I have not even touched anything. So every time I exit, I have to click "Oui" or annul 7 times. This was a brand new installation of this program and I started working on the databases in this current version. I am using windows Vista.

- Another odd problem. When I create a new record and add a photo, it will not show (unless I reboot the program). I found that if I create the record without the picture, than go to modify and add it, the picture will show right away.

I still don't know if I should go back to SmartDB but I have been working on two dabatases for a few weeks now in Happy Collection and do prefer the look and feel more. Maybe a future update on either of these programs could sway me on one or the other?
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you like both SmartDB and HappyCollection

Generally speaking, SmartDB is more adapted to small databases (let's say 1000 records) and small amont of data in each field, while HC is more adapted to large databases (10000 records +) and provide a memo field for large amont of data.

- The search field could apply to the records shown where I can browse just those in visualization, similar to SmartDB :
An XML database (like SmartDB) offers the facility to apply a filter to the whole database. With a Paradox database (like HC) this feature is not provided.
However, with HC, you can do very powerful search using the SQL tab : The requests are a little bit difficult to write, but you can save them and use them again (possibly after adaptation) for the next time.

- a setting next to the search field, that would set it to EXCLUDE instead of include :
Although I do not plan to have complicated updatings of HC in the future, I can probably do this one : Add a small check-box for most of the search-fields that would modify the meaning of '%' and '_' from Include to Exclude.

- if the picture was still shown in modification
This modification is probably possible, but it will be a small picture, as there is not much room left on the modification-page.

- if "validate modif" didn't revert you back to visualization every time (a simple save instead?).
This is very easy to modify.

- I change between my main computer and a laptop almost daily and like to keep databases on both updated.
The easiest way to transfer your updated data from one computer to the other is to check the "Automatic backup" box in the Database tab, choose program options button. When you close HC, 7 files will be created or overwrited ("HappyCollection_AutoSave1.zip" to HappyCollection_AutoSave7.zip") : One for each of the 7 databases.
You just have to copy them to the other computer, and unzip them : This will replace the old databases with the updated ones.

- For some reason, every time I exit Happy Collection, it says that the backup database is smaller than before
This is strange. Do as follow :
Before closing HC, have a look at the size of file "HappyCollection_AutoSave1.zip". Then, close HC (clicking 7 time "Oui"). Then, have a look at the new size of file "HappyCollection_AutoSave1.zip". This should confirm whether the new file is smaller than the old one or not.

- When I create a new record and add a photo, it will not show (unless I reboot the program)
Another strange behaviour. I had a ckeck on my own computer, also with Vista : I could not reproduce the problem.
Do you also have that when you use field 23 (instead of field 21 or 22) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> HappyCollection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: