Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gedcom CHR code does not import - Events and Religious even

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Gedcom CHR code does not import - Events and Religious even Reply with quote

I imported a Gedcom file and a Chrisning CHR code and its data did not show up on the Events listing. I tried to add the event and the date and place was entered but the event colume was left blank. I had selected Baptism(chr) under religious events. When you add an event why are to two selection pull down windows? One for Events and one for Religious events.
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gedcom CHR code does not import - Events and Religious e Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I imported a Gedcom file and a Chrisning CHR code and its data did not show up on the Events listing.

You are right, there is a bug in SmartGenealogy V2.0E : Sorry Confused
You can download a corrected version (V2.0F) here : http://alainlecomte.free.fr/SmartGenealogy.zip
Please let me know if everything is ok with this new one.

Bill wrote:
When you add an event why are to two selection pull down windows?

The total number of events with Gedcom 5.5 is now 40, so i thaught it would be easier for the users to split them in two separate lists : This is why there is a list for the 25 Non-Religious events, and another one for the 15 Religious events.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Partial Success Reply with quote

Alain,

I downloaded version 2f and I can now creat a new event with CHR, but CHR still does not register when it is imported in a gedcom file.

Bill
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most events are coded with 4 digits (BIRT, DEAT...) except CHR which for some reason only has 3 digits.
While importing a Gedcom file, SmartGenealogy was looking for "CHR " (the 4th character being a space). It seems that some genealogy programs only export "CHR" (w/o space) in their Gedcom file.
I have modified SmartGenealogy accordingly.
Bill, i am afraid that you will still have to download this modified version ( http://alainlecomte.free.fr/SmartGenealogy.zip ) and install it : Sorry for the inconvenience. Mr. Green
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale,

No need to apologize I appreciate the fast response.

Now on to my next question.

My main interest is to modify a large data set that is in an excel spread sheet. So I am working on modifying the data so that it can be imported into SmartGenealogy.

I see that birth dates/places and death dates/places are listed twice once on the person sheet and once on the event sheet. If I am constructing these sheets do I need to have the same information in both places for it to import correctly?

Bill
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
do I need to have the same information in both places for it to import correctly?

The answer is yes : See green ellipses in the example below.

You must take care of the following things :
- Your Excel binder must have 6 sheets
- The names of those sheets must be EXACTLY the ones indicated below
- The first row of each sheet (captions) must be EXACTLY the ones indicated below
otherwise, the importation will not be successful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: