Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartGenealogy does not use Windows Themes ? Why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saturn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: SmartGenealogy does not use Windows Themes ? Why? Reply with quote

Hello Ale,

Great work, I really like this great program.

Hope you can help me?
Why doesn't SmartGenealogy use my default Display properties in Windows XP eg:Windows Themes, Apperance (Windows & Buttons), and Color Scheme's and Fonts. Following the windows conventions makes it easier to use the program. For example the to do notepad looks like it comes from an Apple machine?

When you select the "Directory for databases" option in the configuaration screen it the selection box the english translation could read "Select the SmartGenealogy Directory for the Database". Also can the selection box look like the one from "Open an existing Database"

Thank you very much
John
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: SmartGenealogy does not use Windows Themes ? Why? Reply with quote

Hi John

saturn wrote:
Great work, I really like this great program.

Satisfaction of the users is my best rewarding. Cool

saturn wrote:
Why doesn't SmartGenealogy use my default Display properties in Windows XP

SmartGenealogy does not use your default display properties if the "skin" option is on.
To switch-off this option, push the button indicated below by an arrow :

The top picture shows SmartGenealogy WITH skin option on.
The bottom picture is SmartGenealogy WITHOUT skin : Your default display properties should be used.

saturn wrote:
When you select the "Directory for databases" option in the configuaration screen it the selection box the english translation could read "Select the SmartGenealogy Directory for the Database".

Thank you for the tip : For the next release i will modify "Select a directory where your databases will be stored" to "Select the SmartGenealogy Directory for the Database". And God bless Shakespeare Wink

saturn wrote:
Also can the selection box look like the one from "Open an existing Database"

This i cannot do : The first selection box is the standard box to select a DIRECTORY, while the second selection box is the standard box to select a FILE.

Hope this help.
saturn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ale,

Without the skin option works(not for the To do notepad), but the program does not retain my preference the next time the program starts. I suggest moving this option to the configuaration screen and make it remember my selection.

Also can you please add a selectable default output path for reports to excel?
Spelling/Phrasing suggestion when exporting the report to excel the message displayed is "Exporting [XXXXX] towards Excel" I suggest "Exporting [XXXXXX] to Excel"

When I load a database I hear a sound "beep", is there an option to turn it off?

When I tried to import a gedcom from HEREDIS 8 PC (www.heredis.com)
I received the following error?
----------------
SmartGenealogy
X Invalid use of keyword.
Token: 369369_F.db
where
Line Number:1.
-----------------
This is the top section of the GEDCOM:
----------------
0 HEAD
1 SOUR HEREDIS 8 PC
2 VERS 8
2 NAME HEREDIS PC
2 CORP BSD Concept Ã
3 ADDR www.heredis.com
1 DATE 18 FEB 2006
2 TIME 17:35:11
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR ANSEL
1 PLAC
2 FORM Town , Area code , County , Region , Country, Subdivision
0 @1002I@ INDI
------------------------

Thank you for the quick reply
John
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Without the skin option works, but the program does not retain my preference the next time the program starts. I suggest moving this option to the configuaration screen and make it remember my selection."
You are right, i will modify the program to save the last choice of the user (With or W/O skin)

"...not for the To do notepad"
Right, the "To do" notepad always uses the skin. I will check if i can change that.

"Also can you please add a selectable default output path for reports to excel?"
In the current design, the Excel file is created in the same directory as the exported database.
I can add a "Save as" box where the user can indicate another directory.

"...the message displayed is "Exporting [XXXXX] towards Excel" I suggest "Exporting [XXXXXX] to Excel"
I will modify that accordingly.

"When I load a database I hear a sound "beep", is there an option to turn it off?"
Today, you cannot turn it off, but have discovered that on some computers, this sound is quite unpleasant. So, i will modify that in the next release.

"When I tried to import a gedcom from HEREDIS 8 PC, I received the following error..."
This is probably due to an "exotic" character (e.g. an underscore) in the file name : Rename your gedcom file in MyBase.ged and the import should start.
saturn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ale,

The "Save as" box will be just as good for excel reports :)

"When I tried to import a gedcom from HEREDIS 8 PC, I received the following error..."
This is probably due to an "exotic" character (e.g. an underscore) in the file name : Rename your gedcom file in MyBase.ged and the import should start.

I followed your suggestion to change the gedcoms filename and it worked, but only if I used Alpha Characters eg:A-Z.
After further investigation I created a new gedcom from SmartGenealogy and named it 1.ged (try any number 0-9) and it fails on import leaving behind a file called SmartGenealogy_ANSI.GED .
You might want to look at this?

On the "SEEK Persons" page can you make it an option for the search to be Case Insensitive. Also the Button of the Eye for "Shrink Column Width" is confusing because I was initialy pressing it trying to get the search to work then after reading the labels I worked out you need to press the binoculars! Maybe use a picture of the columns with arrows? eg: ">|<>|<"

I also suggest grouping the "Close the Current Database" Button with the "open/create/rename/Destroy" Buttons it makes more sense. And mybe rename the Destroy button to something less forboding say "Delete a database"

Hope this is helping.
Regards,
John
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I followed your suggestion to change the gedcoms filename and it worked, but only if I used Alpha Characters eg:A-Z."
In the current version of SmartGenealogy, during importation of a Gedcom or Excel file, the name of the created database comes from the name of the GED or XLS file. The real restriction is that the first character of the database must be alphabetic (A-Z or a-z). For instance, if you push the "New" button and create a new database whose name is A1, it will be sucessful, while you will fail to open it if you create a database 1A.
I will check if i can do something to suppress this restriction.

"On the "SEEK Persons" page can you make it an option for the search to be Case Insensitive"
Yes, i can add a ckeck-box.

"Also the Button of the Eye for "Shrink Column Width" is confusing..."
You are right. In fact, the reason why i used this Eye glyph is because i find it very beautiful, but i can use it either to replace the binoculars.

"I also suggest grouping the "Close the Current Database" Button with the "open/create/rename/Destroy" Buttons it makes more sense. And mybe rename the Destroy button to something less forboding say "Delete a database"
I agree with that.

"Hope this is helping"
Absolutely. Feedbacks from users are essential to improve a program.
I will need a couple of days to implement the modifications : Watch this place, i will post a message when the new version is ready.
saturn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ale,
Thats great :)
Look forward to the new release.

Cheers,
John
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmartGenealogy version 2.2 is ready.

The main improvements compared to the previous release are :

- Seek/Find is now case-unsensitive
- Added Fast Find on Pedigree tab
- User can indicate a dedicated directory to Load/Save Gedcom files
- User can indicate a dedicated directory to Load/Save Excel files
- User choice about Skin on/off is now saved in the configuration file (also work fo the To-do notepad)
- Several backup files (zip) can now be saved for each database
- Added Cancel button for the "Clear families" function (Family tab)
- Removed sound warning when deleting database (seems to give problems on some computers)
- Can now import Gedcom and Excel files whose file name does not begin with an alphabetic letter
- On 5 occasions, the label of the Cancel button has been translated to English
- A records counter has been added on the Pedigree tab
- Choice between English and French language at installation time

This new version can be downloaded here http://alainlecomte.free.fr/SmartGenealogy_V22.zip

Please report any malfunctioning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: