Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reports - Exports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartDB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reports - Exports Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the work you have put into this program.
Its a great program, I love the ability to add images.

A few simple requests

1) The ability to select the fields we want to include or exclude in the export / reports function. Sometimes I only need 2 or 3 fields of data reported not the whole database.
2) A "Lock / Unlock" (read only) Icon on the screen somewhere instead of having to go and restructer the database every time you want it protected.

3) Not as important as the above requests, but having more than 1 image displayed on the main screen would be nice.

Again, thanks for your efforts into this program

Dan
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you like SmartDB.

1/ Export / reports
Your request makes sense and can probably be useful for other users. I will try to include this feature in the next release.

2/ Read-only
If i understand you properly, what you ask for is not really an icon (indicator) but a push-button to toggle between Protected/Unprotected directly from the main screen ?

3/ Images
I agree with you that having more than one image displayed on the main screen would be nice, but there is not really room for them : This is why you have to push the small button to open a pop-up window.
What i can do is try to put two images instead of one.
zeus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Requests Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply,

1) This is probably the most important feature for myself, it would make
printing reports so much easier.

2) Yes a "Push Button" toggle between Lock/Unlock, for some odd reason I find myself changing field data in records when perusing data.

3) Even 2 images displayed on the screen would be an advantage.

My current use of your program includes :

1) Stamp Collection
2) Candybar wrapper collection
3) We own a water truck delivery business and have about 1500 customers, this program has allowed us to to convert from our old Paradox 3.5 (DOS) database to yours with the ability to add images of the customers homes.

Dan
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modified version is ready for tests.
This beta version 3.5 can be downloaded here :
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/SmartDB_V35_setup.zip

Main modifications :

- Field selection for Excel export
    - Field selection for Ascii export
    - Field selection for print (Use the default printing format : "Print ten small pictures"
    - Toggle "Read-only" from main page
    - Two images on the main page, instead of one.

Please provide a feedback if problems occur with this new version.
Thanks
zeus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ale,

Have tested the BETA, thank you very much for the quick response.

1) The TWO images on the screen at once works, no problems

2) The "Read Only" toggle works on the 'Data Grid' only, you are still able to modify a record on the 'Details for Each Record' side.

3) - "The Field selection for Excel export", no problems

- "Field selection for Ascii export", no problems. I have noticed you use the " | " pipe separater for your data, may I suggest the more common ' ; ' semicolon. Most simple "Import" features in programs will recognize the semicolon separater rather than the pipe, at least this is what I have found in my testing.

4) I have noticed the "Field selections" on filtered data does not work.
This is where the power of the "Field selections" would be greatly used, allowing the user to export/print only the data and fields the user has filtered .
- A note on the 'Export in CSV' option, Use use the ' " ' quotation marks to separate your data, I believe you should also have a ' , ' comma separating your fields.

Example

Current export : "dan" "wilson" "rocky" -> does not import well
Corrected export : "dan","wilson","rocky" -> imports well

Again, most simple "import CSV data" features in programs will look for the comma as separter

Ale, do you have a "donation" spot on your website?

Thanks again

Dan
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that most of the modifications are OK.

Quote:
2) The "Read Only" toggle works on the 'Data Grid' only, you are still able to modify a record on the 'Details for Each Record' side.

You can still modify the 4th field from the top : This is a mistake that i will correct.
On my computer, the other 22 fields are really protected.
The 'Data Grid' (left part of the screen) is only for reference, and cannot be modified, even with a non-protected database open.

Quote:
I have noticed you use the " | " pipe separater for your data, may I suggest the more common ' ; ' semicolon.

I agree with you. The choice of a semi-colon as a separator can bring problems because many users like to use this character ( ; ) in their own text. However, since most simple programs use it, i will use it as well.

Quote:
4) I have noticed the "Field selections" on filtered data does not work.

This is not completly true : There are two possible choices :

- Either you use the "Excel Export" or "Ascii Export" buttons (11th and 12th buttons) and the whole database is exported, at least for the selected fields.

- Or you use the "Print or Export filtered data" (18th and 19th buttons) and only the filtered part of the database is exported (or printed), at least for the selected fields.

Quote:
I believe you should also have a ' , ' comma separating your fields.

You are absolutly right, and i will correct this mistake.

Quote:
do you have a "donation" spot on your website?

No, i don't. It's very kind of you to ask, but i make those programs for the pleasure of programming, and i do not expect to make some money with it. However, feedbacks from users are welcome, including constuctive criticism.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartDB All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: