Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ver 3.0f: Error 'Rename Database' module

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henryd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Ver 3.0f: Error 'Rename Database' module Reply with quote

Hi,

I have upgraded to win 7 and smartgenealogy 3.0f and encountered the following:
(a) When using 'Rename" database module: The program gives a couple of files that 'cannot be copied'.

(b) When exiting Smartgenealogy **without** a database being opened/loaded, the following occurs: "There was a problem trying to back-up database...

(c) When using "Look for invalid dates" module and then I export the file as gedcom, the process is very, very slow. If I do not use
"Look for invalid dates" module the export gedcom file process is much faster.

I am using Smartgenealogy 3.0f (program installed on drive C:, Datafiles on drive D: ), Win 7, Excel 2010
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You are right.
All three problems are fixed now.
To avoid a full re-installation of SmartGenealogy, you can download the following file :
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/autres/SmartGenealogy_exe_3.0g.zip
Unzip it and put the file "SmartGenealogy.exe" in the installation directory of SmartGenealogy (It will overwrite the file already in there)

After test, please let me know if it solves the 3 problems, without visible side-effects.
When i have more time available, i will look for the wrapping problem when re-importing gedcom files.
henryd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thank you so much for your support. I shall do the update and will let you know.

Can I ask you something else pleas? This is probably not limited to ver 3.0f but also to other versions but I had not come across it. What is the maximum SOSA number (ie the SOSA reference number). The program gives a violation error (when importing an excel file) when the SOSA reference is greater than circa 2565 million (a tree with over 30 generations, the SOSA number quickly increases!!)
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question makes sense, but i cannot reproduce the problem : I try to import an Excel file with a Sosoa number = 5555 millions and did not get any error message (see picture)

About the limits :

- Into the SmartGenealogy database itself, Prefix/Sosa is a text field whose length is 10 characters. Therefore, Sosa numbers wil be ok up to 9999 millions.
- If the limit is inside the importation module for Excel, one can gess that it is the maximum contents of a signed integer : about 2147 millions.
henryd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am sorry but I did not explain myself well.

My file has the SOSA as the Person Id, so I was actually referring to teh Person Id field (in the excel import modul). So your answer that
"one can guess that it is the maximum contents of a signed integer : about 2147 millions" is very probably correct.
Not much one can do about that I suppose? (I will try to work round the problem)

Again, I must thank you for your help and support!
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the Person_id field to store your Sosa numbers (which i do not recommand) you will be limited to a maximum of 2,147,483,647. On top of that, most of the display zones will only show you 8 or 9 digits for this field, which mean that you will not see the upper part of your large Sosa numbers.
The best solution is perhaps that, in the Excel worksheet, you copy (duplicate) your column Person_id to the column Prefix, and you will then be able to use the Sosa numbers in the way SmartGenealogy was designed for.
In any case, you will have to change the values of Person_id's which are greater than 2,147,483,647 otherwise you will get the violation error when importing from Excel.
henryd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Again, thank you for your support.

So if the SOSA is copied/inserted in the Prefix (suffix?) field, I wonder what would happen when two databases are merged with MergeDB.

PS I was not aware about the SOSA/Prefix thing. Is there a help file to indicate what each field means/used for? (Some are of course obvious... others not so for me)
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Informations about the Suffix/Sosa field (and not Prefix, as i wrote by mistake) is given only in the French version of the help file : At that time, i was probably too lazy to also update the English version.
It only says that the Suffix field can be used to store the Sosa number, and this possibility was introduced in version V2.10

Two tools are useful to use those numbers :
1/ Push upper 14th button ("Look for errors and doubles") and then push the button "Coherence des numeros Sosa utilises". That will tell you if there are errors found in your Sosa sequence, and at the end, will give you a list of Implex found in your genealogy, if any.

2/ Go to the "Tools" tab, and push the button "Derniers n° Sosa existants". That will give you for each branch of your genealogy, who are the last persons known at the very end of that branch, and therefore where you have to dig if you want to find some more of your ancestors. I personally find this last tool very useful.

Sosa numbers and MergeDB

When you want to merge two databases, do not forget that the Sosa numbers must refer to the same "de-cujus" basis in both databases. If they are calculated from two different "de-cujus", you must erase in the Excel worksheet the "Suffix" column in one of the two databases, otherwise your Sosa numbering will not be coherent in the final genealogy database.
henryd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: