Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ver 3.0g Export of 'sources' in GEDCOM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henryd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Ver 3.0g Export of 'sources' in GEDCOM Reply with quote

Hi,

It seems that the new version (3.0g) is not exporting the sources/source references for the record/s when doing a gedcom export.

(Did a gedcom file export and immediately imported the same file, butno sources were imported)

Using smartgenealogy under win 7
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I did a try, exporting toward Gedcom, then looking at the generated .ged file : No problem, the sources are correctly exported.
So, i had a look at the source code of the program, looking for a possible cause of what you have seen.
I found a possible way : In the "Author" field, if the length of the text is greater than 30 characters, the "Source" will not be exported in the Gedcom file, both for the Persons tab, and for the Events tab.
This cannot normally happend, since in creation using SmartGenealogy, you will not be able to type-in more than 30 char in the "Author" field.
However, you can get more than 30 char in this field if you import a Gedcom file from some other genealogy program.
Is that your case ?

If not, i will need more details to reproduce the problem you get.
henryd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, the Author/sources have more than 30 characters (I am importing from other program/s)!

--------------------

Hi,

I did some additional testing based on what you indicated (also, reduced author to under 30 characters):
I tried to import the exported gedcom file into another program: It seems that the 'sources' data is being exported, but the link to the person/event is not being exported/made.
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in any cases the Source data is exported in the Gedcom file, limited to a lenght of 100 characters maximum for the Author field. What was not exported was the value of this field Author used for the Persons and the Events data, because the length of the receiving field is only 30 char in those two tables.

I have modified the program to copy the first 30 char of Author for those two tables, when the data is betwen 30 and 100 char in length.
(Be careful however that there is a difference in the first 30 char of the Author field of the Gedcom file from the foreign genealogy program, otherwise there will be confusion)

You can get the modified exe file here :
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/autres/SmartGenealogy_exe_3.0h.zip
henryd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
That is great. Thank you so much!
henryd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Had a closer look and the 'sources' csv import program which has a number of fields. Is the following correct?
ID: Numeric, Unique, max length ?
Author: Alphanumeric, max length 30 character, non-unique
Publication: Alphanumeric, max length 100 character, non-unique
Repository: Alphanumeric, max length ? character, non-unique
Texte: Alphanumeric, max length 999? character, non-unique
Abbreviation: Alphanumeric, max length 30 character, non-unique
Title: Alphanumeric, max length 100? character, non-unique
Note: Alphanumeric, max length 999? character, non-unique

Thank you so much for your help!
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The exact figures, as used in the Sources table, are :

ID: Numeric, Unique, 2,147,483,647 max
Author: Alphanumeric, max length 100 characters, non-unique
Publication: Alphanumeric, max length 100 characters, non-unique
Repository: Alphanumeric, max length 10 characters, non-unique
Texte: Alphanumeric, max length 255 characters, non-unique
Abbreviation: Alphanumeric, max length 100 characters, non-unique
Title: Alphanumeric, max length 100 characters, non-unique
Note: Alphanumeric, unlimited length, non-unique

However, for the Author data used in the Persons and Events tables, only the 30 first char (out of 100) will be shown, and must be unique, otherwise there will be confusion.
henryd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you so much for the above info which is very helpful.

There is still an issue with the "sources" module.
When a good (based on above criteria) gedcom file is imported into Smartgenealogy the sources (id, author etc) are being imported correctly. The data is then exported to a gedcom file and imported immediately back (no changes made).
At this stage it appears that the Id and Author are being mixed up (or rather the 'Author' is being imported instead of the id).
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

This is not a bug, but the way it is supposed to work in the current design :
When you import genealogy data from another genealogy program, the Source table in SmartGenealogy is filled-up, among other fields, with the Id-numbers and the Author texts, which are (or should be) meaningfull texts.

After this importation, when you open the Pedigree-tab or the Events-tab, it would not be very informative to display the Id-number as the Source information. So, instead, the 30 first characters of the Author field are shown.

Now, if you prefer to have the Id-number shown here, you just have to export to Excel, and in the Sources worksheet, you copy the column "Source id" into the column "Author"
henryd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry, but I did not explain myself well. The 'ID' I was referring to was to the 'Sources ID' not the 'Person ID'. Let me explain further.

When I import a gedcom file into smartgenealogy the first time, the sources information is imported correctly. For example, for a Birth event, the Sources ID would be "21" and Author "Peter and Henry:June 2013" with the relative text, note etc. When the person/s which have events (eg Birth) with this source id (ie 21) are loaded and the mouse is clicked on the source field in the 'Event' window, another window pops up which would have all the details relating to this source reference (Source Id, Author, Abbrev, Text, Note etc etc). This is correct and as far as I recall how it used to be in previous versions.

If the same file is then exported (in gedcom) and imported again (no changes made), the above changes: When the same person/s as above is loaded, the 'Source' field in the event window no longer displays '21' but "Peter and Henry:June 2013" and nothing happens when I click the mouse on the source field (ie no window is opened with the source details as previously).
Not sure I have explained myself well! Let me know.
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I now understood what you mean. With your current version of SmartGenealogy, and using your example, the Source-fields in the Events tab and in the Pedigree tab will show the Author data (Peter and Henry...) and not the Source_id (21). If you click on one of these Source-fields, the details-window will only show-up if there is a source line where Author = 21 in the Source tab.

I agree that this system was not satisfying, and i have modified it as follow :

- When you import a gedcom file, the Source tab will show the various data in the standard way
- The Source fields in the Events tab and in the Pedigree tab will now show the Source_id (which is unique) PLUS the Author name (so you can use the same author as many time as you want, for instance one line per book of this author, in the Sources tab)
- If you click on one of these Source-fields, either in the Events tab (2 locations) or in the Pedigree tab (2 locations), the details-window will appear.
- If you export as a gedcom file, and re-import it again, you get the same behaviour.

You can get the modified .exe file here : http://alainlecomte.free.fr/autres/SmartGenealogy_exe_3.0i.zip
henryd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and new Smartgenealogy version.

However it would seem that the same issue mentioned by me (above) is still there.
Forgive me for being presumptious, but it would appear to me that the problem is this: the wrong value is being assigned to the Sources unique ID field during the gedcom export process. So (in the above example given by me), during the gedcom export, the value of the "Author" field is being assigned to the Sources "Id" field (ie "Peter and Henry:June 2013" ia being assigned to the sources "ID" field instead of "21").
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning

I will need your help, because i cannot reproduce your problem.
I have creaded a small test database with only one person, one event and one source.
If i export it to Gedcom, i get the following :

0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME John/Lenon/
2 GIVN John
2 SURN Lenon
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1 JAN 1995
2 PLAC London
2 SOUR @S1@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 24 JUL 2013
1 SOUR @S1@
0 @S1@ SOUR
1 AUTH Peter and Henry:June 2013

which is correct.
If i re-import this gedcom file into SmartGenealogy, the result is still correct.

Could you please download this test database and tell me exactly where the problem is ?
http://alainlecomte.free.fr/autres/test_1.zip
henryd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just downloaded the test database and it has worked fine. I have also added another person to it and another source, exported it to a gedcom file and imported it again and it still worked ok. Later, I will have another look at my data, but frankly I am a bit a loss now. Sad
If I cannot make any progress on this, will it be possible to send you a (very) small smartgenealogy database for you to have a look at?
Sorry to have been such a nuisance!
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a nuisance at all : I need feedback from users to be aware of possible bugs and needs for improvement.
If needed, you can send me a test database at the following adress : mam75(at)free.fr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: