Forum Forum Fortifications of the World
A web site about fortifications and freeware programs : Fortifications of the World

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing a GEDCOM from Ancestry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Importing a GEDCOM from Ancestry Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm hoping for some advice on importing a GEDCOM that was exported from Ancestry.com.

When I import, I receive all of the people and their information shows up under the PERSONS tab, but there is nothing under the EVENTS tab.

Additionally, the relationship information (father, mother) is not shown in the PERSONS tab, so every single person is unrelated.

When I exported my original data from SmartGenealogy for import into Ancestry, everything imported perfectly.

So, I'm wondering if the GEDCOM from Ancestry.com is the problem, or if it is the import to SmartGenealogy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You are right, there was a problem during importation of Gedcom files generated by Ancestry.com : None of the events were recognised.
This was due to an extra space character added by Ancestry at the end of their Gedcom tags.
The new version of SmartGenealogy, V3.0 W, takes care of this fact.
This new version can be downloaded here : http://alainlecomte.free.fr/SmartGenealogy.7z

Please, post a feedback here to tell whether it solves your problem, or if you still have troubles with it.
ryanar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain,

I'm sorry to say that after downloading and installing the new version, I get the same result. All the people import, with all of the information visible on the PERSONS page, but the EVENTS page is blank. No parental information is recovered.

Thanks.
ale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I did my modification with a Gedcom file downloaded from Ancestry.fr
Perhaps, Ancestry.com uses another format.
Could you please send me [mam75(@)free(dot)fr] a small Gedcom file which gives you this importation problem
Thank you.
ryanar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain,

Thank you very much for your help with this. The file you sent back to me works perfectly.

And thanks for SmartGenealogy. It's a nice piece of software!

Regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Fortifications of the World Forum Index -> SmartGenealogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: